Ribbon Biolabs grows the team and is looking for an Automation Development Scientist (m/f/d) to join our Ribbon Team.
As the Automation Development Scientist, you will work with other automation scientists with regard to the establishment and utilization of laboratory automation infrastructure to support our synthetic biology pipeline processes. Thereby, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of the core technology of the company through robotic automation.
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Continuously advance adaptation and integration of Ribbon Biolabs’ robotic InfiniSynth® DNA synthesis platform to drive efficient, high-throughput synthesis production pipeline operations
- Facilitate optimization of robotic integration between liquid handling instrumentation, biobank, and diverse associated equipment
- Lead and support pipeline-relevant automation projects and direct design, development and integration of lab automation applications to completion
- Facilitate technology transfer to implementation of new technology, assays and procedures in Ribbon’s InfiniSynth® DNA synthesis production platform
- Plan and optimize automation scheduling of high throughput projects
- Test and debug automation scripts with responsibility for proper code and script documentation for all automated equipment
- Manage and maintain operational processes associated to laboratory automation, including data processing and instrument maintenance
- Supervise lab automation technicians to ensure system routine care, machine maintenance, and lab documentation
- Support with the writing of technical papers, reports and assist with grant writing
- Thoroughly document results, data, procedures, and conclusions in Ribbon’s Electronic Lab Notebook and, where required, in dedicated reports
- Communicate results, summaries, and conclusions to interdisciplinary team
- Contribute to the invention of core intellectual property
- Liase and collaborate with R&D, automation and customer synthesis teams across roles and functions to support lab operations, meeting goals and deadlines
- Lead and supervise daily work of other automation and synthesis team members
- Report to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
What we expect from you:
- Degree in a natural sciences or engineering discipline or equivalent relevant professional experience, with a strong track-record in hands-on wet-lab and robotic lab automation experience
- Several years of experience with robotic lab automation integration and operation
- Experience in programming robotic liquid handlers and in processing associated data
- At least 3 years experience in molecular biology, biochemistry or equivalent discipline
- Organizational skills, accuracy, reliability and precision
- Positive can-do attitude, inclusive mindset and the drive to work towards goals
- Good communication skills and highly proactive co-working culture
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills. Basic German is of advantage.
Considered an additional plus:
- Experience with programming in C# and/or Python
- Experience in an industry R&D and/or operational setting
- Project management training, team management and leadership skills
- Full health and social benefits according to Austrian law
- Opportunity to contribute to a young company in the new, evolving synthetic biology field and live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is consistently ranked as the most livable city in the world
- Join a highly motivated and agile team
- Flexible working hours
- Company-supported professional development through trainings, workshops and conference attendance, including team activities
- Support in German classes if required
- Relocation support if necessary
- International and friendly atmosphere
- Coffee, tea and snacks in the office
By Austrian law we are obliged to specify the minimum salary level by the collective agreement, which is EUR 50.400,- to EUR 53.900,- gross per year (full-time). However, we offer a higher salary adjusted according to your experience and qualifications.
Job type: Full-time (40h per week). Employment is permanent.
Location: This role is for laboratory operations in 11th district, Vienna, Austria.
Availability: We expect to fill the position as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Applicants should provide a cover letter explaining the motivation behind the application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. While focusing on the right set and mix of experience and skills, we value diversity and are highly committed to set up working environment with mutual respect to everyone regardless their race, nationality, religion, gender, age or other characteristics protected by applicable regulations and laws. To keep the gender balance in the Company we highly encourage women to apply.
Ribbon Biolabs takes data protection seriously. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize Ribbon Biolabs to store your personal data in its database for the purpose of recruiting process or/and possible future job vacancies. If you want your data to be deleted from our database, you simply need to inform our hiring manager. Ribbon Biolabs will not share your personal data with any other party without your consent.
The team at Ribbon Biolabs is looking forward to your application!