Ribbon Biolabs is looking for somebody who “has it all”. The new Head of R&D (m/f/d) has to be an inspiring leader while meeting the expectations of an exceptional scientist. This position requires an interdisciplinary mind that can juggle responsibilities in biotech, project management, and leadership while keeping up with the competitors on the market.
Ribbon Biolabs mission is to serve the growing need for synthetic DNA as a fundamental component for innovation in technology and biopharma. By providing our customers with rapid access to DNA molecules of sub-genomic size and in thousands of variants, we will empower them to create visionary solutions and to engineer novel products.
As Head of R&D, the ideal candidate will be responsible for inspiring, supporting and leading a diverse team of scientists.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support the definition and implementation of Ribbon’s R&D strategy
- Manage Scientific teams planning and development of scientific projects
- Complement the R&D strategy by identifying funding vehicles such as grants and externally funded projects
- Implement and maintain Project Management tools
- Support the R&D strategy by proposing R&D directions
- Track Performance of R&D team
- Review the design of experiment protocols together with the Scientific team
- Supervise and approve budgets for R&D activities
- Ensure proper lab documentation is in place
- Contribute to the IP strategy including directing FTO analysis, patent definition and writing and, together with the rest of the team, keep an updated overview of patent and scientific literature
- Oversee technological trends of competitors and markets
- Foster team dynamics by engaging in team meetings, evaluation of personnel performance, identifying required and desirable training for team members
- Work in concert with Ribbon Biolabs’ Mentors and Advisors to boost management expertise and improve planning skills
- The Head of R&D will report to the CTO
Background, experience and skills:
- At least 5 years of experience in biotech industry
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biology, Genetics or relevant fields
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in project management (tools and methods). Demonstrated ability to push projects to completion with precise planning and execution
- Experience in effective management of the team of scientists
- Strong leadership skills paired with a goal-oriented and collaborative working attitude
- Working experience in academia and industry
- Excellent English skills are required, German is an advantage
- Full health and social benefits according to Austrian law
- Opportunity to crucially contribute to the translation of Ribbon’s product towards market entry and operational scale-up within a young, agile and motivated team
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunity of home office
- Support for professional development training and German lessons
- Relocation support if necessary
- Tickets for shuttle bus between Vienna and Klosterneuburg if required
- International and friendly atmosphere
- The opportunity to grow with the company and to live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is repeatedly ranked by Mercer as the city with the highest quality of life in the world
- Coffee, tea and snacks in the office
We provide an attractive salary, which is based on your qualifications and professional experience. The monthly salary is paid 14 times p.a.
Job type: Full time (40 h per week).
Location: This role is for laboratory operations in Klosterneuburg and Vienna.
Availability: We expect to fill the position as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Please use the form below and upload a cover letter describing the motivation behind your application, a curriculum vitae and a list of three references.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. While focusing on the right set and mix of experience and skills, we value diversity and are highly committed to set up working environment with mutual respect to everyone regardless their race, nationality, religion, gender, age or other characteristics protected by applicable regulations and laws.
Ribbon Biolabs takes data protection seriously. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your application you authorize Ribbon Biolabs to store your personal data in its database for the purpose of recruiting process or/and possible future job vacancies. If you want your data to be deleted from our database, you simply need to inform our hiring manager. Ribbon Biolabs will not share your personal data with any other party without your consent.
The team at Ribbon Biolabs is looking forward to your application!