Ribbon Biolabs is growing quickly and currently looking for a very special position that requires skills in biomolecule separation, microfluidics, and general biology. Suppose these words are your everyday life, and in addition, you enjoy working with a motivated and international team. In that case, you just might be our new Scientist – Nucleic Acid Chemistry (m/f/d).
Ribbon Biolabs is a young biotech company with locations in Vienna and in Klosterneuburg (outskirts of Vienna) developing the next technological wave of error-proof DNA synthesis. With our approach, we are developing a cost-efficient platform to produce long and complex DNA molecules, thereby enabling a new generation of biopharmaceutical processes and other synthetic biology products.
The position Scientist – Nucleic Acid Chemistry is externally funded by a 3-year project financed by the FFG. The successful candidate will join a small, agile and interdisciplinary team as soon as possible. The candidate will have the opportunity to grow with the company and to live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is repeatedly ranked by Mercer as the city with the highest quality of life in the world.
Your everyday challenge in Ribbon Biolabs will be:
- Spearhead R&D activities in the Nucleic Acid Chemistry area
- Design, develop, test and refine to mature prototype actionable systems for precise separation, quantification and purification of nucleic acid products
- Design, optimize, carry out and trouble shoot analytic and preparative experiments with nucleic acids of various lengths (e.g. thermodynamic parameters)
- Facilitate tech transfer between R&D insight from prototype to production level technology and workflow protocols
- Establish new workflows as well as quality control systems
- Perform duties of lab management, maintain lab documentation, write reports and assist with grant writing
- Produce, document and analyze data
- Contribute to the invention of core intellectual property (from conception through validation)
- Collaborate with and assist R&D and automation platform team members
You are a perfect fit to our team if you have:
- University degree to PhD or PostDoc level with background in nucleic acid chemistry, analytical chemistry, biophysical chemistry, bio-organic chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or related field
- Expertise in nucleic acid separation and purification techniques (preparative and analytical), including but not limited to capillary electrophoresis (CE), HPLC and related
- Deep understanding of different nucleic acid modification, analysis, detection, separation, and purification methods
- Experience with low-volume liquid handling (manual pipetting and use of liquid handlers) and ideally with microfluidicliquid / droplet handling technology
- Prior experience with industry settings including standardization and quality management, g. standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Experience with electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) keeping
- Adaptability to change with a fast-growing dynamic startup company
- Good communication skills with diverse, interdisciplinary audiences
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
You impress us even more if you have:
- Hands-on expertise in microfluidic engineering and microfabrication (silicon etching, 3D printing) and use of such technology
- Knowledge of bacterial cloning or gene assembly
- Practical experience with automated liquid handling robots
- Data analysis skills (beyond Microsoft Office Suite programs, or more advanced use of Microsoft)
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Prior exposure to work in standardized and GLP-conform environment
- Knowledge of German language
What you can expect if you join our team:
- Full health and social benefits according to Austrian law
- Opportunity to crucially contribute to the translation of Ribbon’s product towards market entry and operational scale-up within a young, agile and motivated team
- Flexible working hours and home office possibilities
- Support for professional development training and German lessons
- The opportunity to grow with the company and to live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is repeatedly ranked by Mercer as the city with the highest quality of life in the world
- Relocation support if necessary
- Coffee, tea and snacks in the office
By Austrian law we are obliged to specify the minimum salary level by collective agreement, which is EUR 47.500,- to EUR 52.000,- gross per year. However, we offer a higher salary adjusted to your experience and qualifications.
Job type: Full time (40 h per week).
Role: Being supported by an external grant, this employment contract will be initially for 1 (one) year. However, contingent on performance and project success the possibility to transition into a fixed long-term employment exists.
Location: This role is for laboratory operations in Klosterneuburg and Vienna.
Availability: We expect to fill the position as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Please use the form below and provide a cover letter explaining the motivation behind the application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references. Considerations of the applications will continue until the position is filled.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. While focusing on the right set and mix of experience and skills, we value diversity and are highly committed to set up working environment with mutual respect to everyone regardless their race, nationality, religion, gender, age or other characteristics protected by applicable regulations and laws.
Ribbon Biolabs takes data protection seriously. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize Ribbon Biolabs to store your personal data in its database for the purpose of recruiting process or/and possible future job vacancies. If you want your data to be deleted from our database, you simply need to inform our hiring manager. Ribbon Biolabs will not share your personal data with any other party without your consent.
The team at Ribbon Biolabs is looking forward to your application!