We are looking for a Senior Scientist – Biochemistry (m/f/d) who is experienced, passionate about biochemistry, and looking for a new challenge. If you enjoy a dynamic environment of a quickly growing startup and want to be part of something big, we will be thrilled to hear from you.
Ribbon Biolabs is a young biotech company with locations in Vienna and in Klosterneuburg (outskirts of Vienna) developing the next technological wave of error-proof DNA synthesis. With our approach, we are developing a cost-efficient platform to produce long and complex DNA molecules, thereby enabling a new generation of biopharmaceutical processes and other synthetic biology products.
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Spearhead, oversee, support, and advise the general planning and execution of the nucleic acid biochemistry R&D agenda towards reaching scientific milestones according to company strategic priorities and timelines
- Design, conduct, guide and direct the execution of theR&D experiments in cooperation with the team
- Perform the design, synthesis, assembly and further modifications of DNA sequences
- Perform, direct and implement quantitative experimental and computational data analyses on experimental results to support R&D program decisions
- Develop new methods and technologies toward advancing the platform technology progress in line with the strategic company goals
- Prepare timely technical reports to accompany R&D project decision milestones and project conclusion
- Keep a pristine culture of lab-book keeping in place including coordination with the records of the associated scientific team
- Keep an updated overview of relevant patent and scientific literature and update the team with the necessary information
- Determine patentable inventions and advance invention reports where relevant
- Contribute to the IP strategy including conducting FTO analyses, patent definition, associated experiments, and their writing
- Input to, review and maintenance of the R&D lab budget in alignment with administrative and management teams
- Plan, moderate and document R&D lab meetings and the associated agendas
- Write research grants, reports and publish scientific papers
- Participate in scientific conferences, tech fairs including keeping a network to relevant scientific expertise and key opinion leaders
- The Senior Scientist will report directly to the CEO and the CTO
What do we expect from you:
- University degree to PhD level ideally in biochemistry, but also alternative degrees in molecular biology, synthetic biology, biotechnology or molecular genetics are considered, but with strong proven focus on biochemistry
- Several years of R&D work experience
- Over 3 years of industry experience(start-up, small biotech, or big pharma)
- Strong expertise instate-of-the-art biochemistry, molecular biology and synthetic biology techniques
- Demonstrated, expert knowledge in biochemistry (DNA, RNA, and proteins) and deep understanding of different nucleic acid biochemistry techniques (incl. PCR, assembly, cloning ), quantitative analytical technologies, purification, and detection methods
- Strong publication record and demonstrated capability of innovative problem solving
- Experience with planning, coordination, implementation, analysis, and documentation of experiments
- Self-organized, structured, and independent working style with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability and willingness to multi-task and handle diverse responsibilities and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Fluent in English (oral and written), German is an advantage
Considered a plus:
- Experience with robotic liquid handling and high-throughput dispensing, molecular analytics, and readout instrumentation
- Practical knowledge of miniaturization, lab-on-a-chip, or microfluidics are a plus
- Computational skills and working experience with data processing in R or Python
- Full health and social benefits according to Austrian law
- Opportunity to crucially contribute to the translation of Ribbon’s product towards market entry and operational scale-up within a young, agile and motivated team
- Flexible working hours and home office possibilities
- Support for professional development training and German lessons
- The opportunity to grow with the company and to live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is repeatedly ranked by Mercer as the city with the highest quality of life in the world
- Relocation support if necessary
- Coffee, tea and snacks in the office
By Austrian law we are obliged to specify the minimum salary level by collective agreement, which is EUR 47.600, to EUR 53.400,- gross per year (full-time). However, we offer a higher salary adjusted according to your experience and qualifications.
Location: This role is for R&D laboratory operations in Klosterneuburg and Vienna.
Availability: We expect to fill the position as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Please use the form below and provide a cover letter explaining the motivation behind the application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references. Considerations of applications will continue until the position is filled.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. While focusing on the right set and mix of experience and skills, we value diversity and are highly committed to set up working environment with mutual respect to everyone regardless their race, nationality, religion, gender, age or other characteristics protected by applicable regulations and laws.
Ribbon Biolabs takes data protection seriously. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize Ribbon Biolabs to store your personal data in its database for the purpose of recruiting process or/and possible future job vacancies. If you want your data to be deleted from our database, you simply need to inform our hiring manager. Ribbon Biolabs will not share your personal data with any other party without your consent.
The team at Ribbon Biolabs is looking forward to your application!