Ribbon Biolabs is a young biotech company with locations in Vienna and in Klosterneuburg (outskirts of Vienna), developing the next technological wave of error-proof DNA synthesis. With our approach, we are developing a cost-efficient platform to produce long and complex DNA molecules, thereby enabling a new generation of biopharmaceutical processes and other synthetic biology products.
As an early-stage startup company with ambitious growth plans, we are currently seeking to expand our team with a motivated and proactive Senior Scientist – Cancer Genomics (m/f/d).
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Lead an externally funded scientific project on synthetic genomics of cancer
- Set-up a small lab to perform research in cancer genomics
- Design DNA sequences based on gene variant databases of solid tumors
- Provide technical and scientific leadership in the areas of Cancer Genomics
- Drive a proof-of-concept research agenda for product development
- Establish partnerships with biomedical science labs for clinical validation
- The Lead Scientist Cancer Genomics will report to the Head of R&D
What do we expect from you:
- PhD and a minimum experience of 3 years in Cancer Genomics
- Experience in a biomedical setting where oncology experience is preferred
- Knowledge of cancer genetics/genomics
- Knowledge in the classification of genetic structural variants of solid tumors
- Experience with oncology sequencing panels (Illumina, Roche etc.)
- Established experience with human mutation databases, cancer variant databases, genome browsers
- Expertise in interpreting genomics data for clinical practice
- Familiarity with the handling of human tissue samples, in particular, formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) samples
- Experience in NGS library preparation techniques for DNA sequencing, particularly in a clinical setting
- Established expertise in interpreting NGS results
- A desire to learn and develop novel technologies
- Be a team player, willing to contribute to building a positive team-oriented culture
- The ability to lead research projects with a team of other Life Science professionals and to drive cooperation with clinical labs
- Full health and social benefits according to Austrian law
- Opportunity to crucially contribute to the translation of Ribbon’s product towards market entry and operational scale-up within a young, agile and motivated team
- Flexible working hours and home office possibilities
- Support for professional development training and German lessons
- The opportunity to grow with the company and to live and work in or near the city of Vienna, which is repeatedly ranked by Mercer as the city with the highest quality of life in the world
- Relocation support if necessary
- Coffee, tea and snacks in the office
By Austrian law, we are obliged to specify the minimum salary level by a collective agreement, which is EUR 49.600,- to EUR 53.400,- gross per year (full-time). However, we offer a higher salary adjusted according to your experience and qualifications.
Location: This role is for R&D laboratory operations in Klosterneuburg and Vienna.
Availability: We expect to fill the position as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Applicants should provide a cover letter explaining the motivation behind the application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Considerations of the applications will continue until the position is filled.
Ribbon Biolabs takes data protection seriously. Unless you express otherwise, by submitting your CV you authorize Ribbon Biolabs to store your personal data in its database for the purpose of recruiting process or/and possible future job vacancies. If you want your data to be deleted from our database, you simply need to inform our hiring manager. Ribbon Biolabs will not share your personal data with any other party without your consent.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. While focusing on the right set and mix of experience and skills, we value diversity and are highly committed to setting up a working environment with mutual respect for everyone regardless of their race, nationality, religion, gender, age or other characteristics protected by applicable regulations and laws. To keep the gender balance in our Company, we highly encourage women to apply.